Saturday 30 May 2009

Britain's Got... Rigged?

Just watched 'Britain's Got Talent' on itv1... I unfortunately missed the first half of the programme because I forgot the time.

Apparently when I switched on the tv, there was something about Hollie Steel fumbling on her performance and will be given a chance to sing again when she composes her nerves.
Well damn I missed it! News At Ten's gonna show it again thankfully. A second chance? Since when have shows started giving in to sweet little girls who cry? (No offence Simon, I really like you and I think you can do whatever you want cos' you're the boss), but is it really fair to the other contestants?

I was gobsmacked when I watched the coolest 12-year-old on earth Aiden Davis (he did say he was 12 when Simon asked him again); there is no doubt he would get into the finals. How could a little boy of 12 move like that? He is good, however the infinite visual screen behind him did add to the overall effect...

I watched Hollie Steel on her second attempt, shaky but apparently better than her first. Crying crying crying... Well, she's hoping for the 'sympathy vote' maybe? Get a grip girl! Where is your emotional strength? Look at Aiden (whose about the same age as you)!

DCD Seniors danced their hearts out and I thought they were ok. Then, this freaky 'are you man or woman' performance by Greg Pritchard almost made me faint. That was the strangest thing I've ever seen on tv, with his strangely-high falsetto and flowing cape that took up the entire stage. Simon said that it was like watching a horror movie. Echo that!

And when the results came through I could not believe my ears and eyes when Mr. Horror Movie Greg got in! The power of money most probably took over the phonelines. Whose? I do not know. When it's down to Hollie Steel and Greg Pritchard, I must say the choice is clear as day isn't it? Simon will definitely not choose Greg so Hollie's definitely gonna get through!

There is a fine line between shedding tears of joy and accomplishment, and veering on the "I'm so young and tiny and petrified like a rabbit in headlights so everybody should vote for me because I'm so brave and I'm the bravest 10-year-old girl in the world..." Another good (bad) example is Susan Boyle, who's been cracking under the tremendous pressure of fame, having had 100 million hits on Youtube and now shouting "f*** off" to strangers. Which brings to a point that not all contestants can handle the pressure of winning, press, critics and the public; they just get the better of them. Maybe there should be a minimum (and maximum) age requirement... Which reminds me of that break-dancing old man
Fred Bowers last night who finished his performance with a bleeding arm!!! Britain's Got Talent is stressful.

For the sake of entertainment, what would YOU sacrifice?

No comments:

Post a Comment