Wednesday 1 July 2009

The Meaning of Imperfection

I have come to the conclusion that Singaporeans are really uptight and impatient.

That is not a sweeping remark because I truly have been observing them for a long time (almost all my life). They just want things done fast, are brash and rude most of the time and are always afraid to lose out on something. They can't relax and take their time and just bloody chill out!

I am saying this because I used to be like that... my family, friends, loved ones, are all catering to the societal need to be 'quick'. It's already driven into them like a nail into wood. Someone once told me they thought Singaporeans were always trying to find the quickest way to do something, i.e. shortcut. This in turn led to him believing Singaporeans are pretty lazy. But they aren't, cos' they work hard too! So why is this strange erratic evolution happening in this country?

I think the recession may be a good thing. People getting laid off is a good thing. I don't mean to make it sound so evil, but taking time off is really something Singaporeans have to learn. It's not just about chasing the latest handbag or shoe trends in town, clubbing non-stop over the weekend and getting the latest mobile phone! Being away and around the world has taught me that there are far more beautiful things in life - understanding different cultures, empathizing with people, sharing the beauty of nature and the ocean with someone special - these things are what I've achieved so far and counting.

Singaporeans need to get out more, to see how much more there is out there, not this 'reality' here. Living in the perfect world here has led people to become rigid and robotic, and this is not what life is all about. It's not about arguing who should pay for dinner, not about running in high heels to a Coach handbag sale, not about flashing the trendiest car. The 'perfect' world does not allow people to see imperfections; that there can be whales being attacked, sharks being finned, rainforests catching fire, plastic bags floating about in estuaries.

I believe once people get out more, they will appreciate better the imperfections of the world. The imperfections that we can do something for to make a difference. And then it will all be beautiful again.

No comments:

Post a Comment